Business Best Practice: IT Security
IT Security is the single biggest IT challenge facing small businesses today. Review your business practices against best practice business benchmarks to identify gaps that may be holding you back or putting your business at risk.
Business Best Practice IT Security
IT Security is the single biggest IT challenge facing small businesses today. Cyberthreats are evolving daily with cybercriminals using increasingly sophisticated methods to perform cybercrime. To protect your business, it is necessary to have a comprehensive security program in place that combats possible cyberthreats.
Effective security programs use a multipronged approach with multiple layers of security to protect against cyberthreats. The foundation of a security program is a backup and disaster recovery system that is regularly tested, and which allows for quick recovery should a cyberbreach occur.
Starting with the backup system as a base, other layers of protection are added such as; antivirus, password management, anti-spam, staff training and education, and other forms of security all aimed at combating the various cyberthreats.
Implementing IT security programs requires specialist advice and should be reviewed regularly.
How well does your IT Security stack up?
Watch the video or review the checklist to find out.
Business Best Practice IT Security: The Checklist
- Do you have a documented IT security and backup program in place?
- Do you have processes in place to ensure that you are kept up to date with the latest cyberthreats and that you are ensuring your business is protected?
- Do you test your backup system at least quarterly?
- Do you have multiple security systems in place, not just relying on antivirus to protect you from cyberthreats?
- Do you know what best practice password policies are and do you have these in place?
- Do you provide your staff with regular education and training on best practice IT security, online safety and how to recognise the latest cyber threats?
What are Best Practice Benchmarks?
Also known as generic or process benchmarks.
As the names suggests Best Practice Benchmarking involves identification of best practices across generic functions, processes or operations, identifying the most effective operating practices from other businesses that perform similar functions.
Best Practice Benchmarking is effective across the full range of generic business operations: branding, marketing, sales, operations, financial management, technology, human resources, risk mitigation and strategic planning.
The Better Business for Good Company BIPlan System® is an example of Best Practice Benchmarking. Developed by a team of small business specialists the BIPlan System enables every small business to benchmark their business against over 200 individual benchmarks covering areas as diverse as brand identity, financial management, management of people and risk, customer relationships and environmental impact. Each item is important in their own right, some take longer to implement than others, but taken as a whole they help a business to become more profitable as well as a good corporate citizen.
Other types of business benchmarking include performance, functional, operational, industry and competitive.
Learn more about how the different forms of benchmarking can help your business.
Want to make your business more profitable, scalable and saleable?
Measure, manage and improve your business against more best practice benchmark checklists like this.
Developed by small business specialists, the BIPlan System is the most credible tool a small business can use to measure, manage and improve their business practices against best practice standards.
- Assess how your business performs against dozens of best practice checklists. Taking the Assessment alone will be a valuable, eye-opening experience.
- Compare your answers to best practice standards developed, tested and proven by Australian small business specialists
- Create and implement a customized improvement plan for your business with our best practice guides and the support of our business advisors and specialists to help you implement.
- STEP by STEP - Easy to Use - FREE Always.